Monday, October 31, 2011

Fudge Squares
I'm not saying that these are healthy for you, I'm just saying that they are delicious! 

I found the recipe in my mom's old 1954 cookbook. She used to make these and they were so good after coming home from school. 


It did not mention the size of the pan, so I used a 9x13. It also did not indicate the oven temperature so I used the basic 350F. They are a dense square, more like bars. I only made 1/2 the recipe for the icing. It would have been way too rich. 
Preheat oven to 350F
Melt 1 cup butter and add 2 cups brown sugar. Mix together and let cool. 
Then beat in 2 eggs and 1 tsp vanilla.
Sift together 2 & 1/2 cups flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt and add to 1st mixture. 
Mix in 3/4 cup chopped walnuts.
Pour in greased pan. (I prefer lining my pans with parchment paper as it makes it so much easier to remove the squares)
Bake 25-27 minutes or until done. (A toothpick inserted in center comes out clean)
Cool and then put icing. 
Icing: (this is the recipe cut in half, if you want more, just double it)
1 cup brown sugar, 
1/4 cup cream
2 tsp butter
1/2 tsp vanilla.
Boil for approx 2 minutes... no longer! I did and had problems with it. 
Cool it and then add icing sugar until it is no longer runny. Spread on squares. 
Makes about 30 bars.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, those look good! I'm trying to do the diet thing too!
    Nice to see you joined the blogging world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darn, Wendy, you caught me :-(
    They are more for Gerald, there I feel better. :-)

    ReplyDelete